This recipe holds a particularly special place in my heart, as it was imparted to me by my beloved grandmother. During my school years, she would often prepare a dish called kadhi chawal, a meal that I truly relished. As I matured, she taught me the steps to craft this dish myself. Although she is no longer with us, every time I recreate this cherished recipe, I am engulfed by the precious memories we shared together. Whenever I remember her, I find solace in making kadhi chawal, allowing myself to relive those warm and comforting moments.
- Gram flour : ½ cup
- Turmeric : 1 tsp
- Buttermilk : 280 ml
- Water : ½ glass (plus additional for adjusting consistency)
- Ghee : 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick
- Mustard seeds
- Fenugreek seeds
- Cumin : 1 tsp
- Dried red chilies
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Sugar : 3 tsp
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Rice or chapati for serving
- In a bowl, combine the gram flour, turmeric, and buttermilk. Mix until smooth and no lumps remain. Add 1/2 a glass of water to the mixture.
- In a wok over medium heat, add the ghee. Once it’s heated, add cloves, cinnamon sticks, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin, ginger, dried red chilies, and curry leaves. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the prepared batter into the wok and let it cook for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add water to the mixture, stirring continuously to achieve your desired consistency.
- Add salt and sugar to the mixture, followed by the freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes over low heat, adding hot water at intervals as needed.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati.
Watch this recipe here – Kadhi Chawal
Vishal Panchal, a resident of Delhi, is a passionate home chef who holds a degree in Hotel Management from the Institute of Hotel Management (IHM), Lucknow. He has created an impressive portfolio of signature dishes and beverages, showcasing his creativity and culinary skill. A corporate professional, Vishal utilizes his free time to craft and share recipe videos. His fervor for food drives him to continuously innovate. Unafraid to experiment, he revels in exploring a variety of cuisines.
Translations and detailed descriptions are provided to give a better understanding of the story to people from different cultural backgrounds across the globe.